Welcome To My World

I'm a wife and mom to 4 beautiful children and I'm in to too many things! I look forward to sharing my life with you... my love for Jesus Christ, fun with makeup, passion for cooking & food, special times with my family, saving money with coupons and more!

Friday, June 8, 2012

Berry Muffin Recipe

**This recipe was inspired by the Berry Surprise Muffin recipe that came from the Recipes For Healthy Living Cookbook that I received along with my Jack LaLanne Power Juicer. **

Before I post the recipe, I just want to say thanks to everyone who had given me such positive feedback from my last blog post. I appreciate all your love and prayers so much.

Ingredients:
2 cups whole grain flour (I used whole wheat)
2/3 cup honey (I used local honey from here in Opelika, AL)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp grated lemon or orange peel ( I used orange)
1/2 C. orange juice
2 egg whites (I used organic large brown eggs)
3/4c blueberries ( I think I used closer to 1 cup)
3/4c berry pulp (The original recipe suggests raspberry. I used a combination of strawberries & blackberries)
1/4c berry juice (The original recipe again suggests raspberry.)
1/4c canola oil (The original recipe says to add oil in the instructions but fails to list it in the ingredients. I think this is just a printing error. I just guessed as to amount and the 1/4c seems to work fine although you may even be able to leave it out.)
Non-Stick Spray (I used Olive Oil Spray)

Preheat oven to 400° F. Mixture 1: Combine whole-grain flour, honey, baking powder, and lemon or orange peel. Mix thoroughly. Mixture 2: Combine orange juice, canola oil, egg whites, berry juice and berry pulp. Mix thoroughly. Combine mixture 1 and 2 together. Gently stir in fresh blueberries. Grease muffin pan and fill muffin pan. (These muffins do not rise a whole lot so I fill the muffin pan right to the top!)
Bake for approximately 20–25 minutes.
**My juicing process:
For this recipe, I juiced all berries then I put 3/4c pulp that was extracted into my Mixture 1 bowl and 1/2c of the juice into my Mixture 2 bowl. I then rinsed all my juicer parts and put the juicer back together. I then took 1 orange and grated the peel on my micro-plane over my Mixture 1 bowl. I peeled the orange and placed it in the juicer which then provided me with the 1/2C orange juice needed for my Mixture 2 bowl. *Just a note that this recipe makes much more juice than is needed to get the pulp needed if you are juicing to make the muffins. Just put your extra berry and orange juice over some ice like I did, and enjoy!*
*A note from Jessica's Kitchen: As some of you may know, blackberries are quite "seedy" and those seeds are much tougher at times than that of raspberries and strawberries. Those seeds make a little "crunch" in the muffin which seems to be ok by most of those that have tried these muffins but I also know that some people are put off by that. If you are one of those people, I would suggest going with just strawberries or raspberries or a combination of both. To me it's no different than if there are nuts in a recipe, but then some people don't like those either! HAHA! It's all personal taste... just adjust the recipe to your taste!*

--Yours--Jessica--


No comments:

Post a Comment